CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO)
Job Description Organization Overview:
The Clarksville-Montgomery County Economic Development Council (EDC) is organized to develop, coordinate, and implement economic development strategies to further and advance the general welfare and economic prosperity of Clarksville-Montgomery County and the surrounding area. The EDC has been jointly organized by the Clarksville Area Chamber of Commerce, Industrial Development Board of Montgomery County, and Clarksville-Montgomery County Convention & Visitors Bureau. The EDC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, and nonsectarian.
(Go to www.clarksvillepartnership.com for more information about the EDC)
The Economic Development Council (EDC) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will develop, coordinate, and implement economic development strategies to further advance the general welfare and economic prosperity of Clarksville-Montgomery County and the surrounding area through the Economic Development Council (EDC) and provide assistance to the Industrial Development Board of Montgomery County (IDB), Clarksville Area Chamber of Commerce (CCC), Clarksville-Montgomery County Tourist Commission d/b/a Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB), businesses, units of government, and other community based organizations. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for facilitating, promoting, and assisting economic development in order to secure opportunities for economic growth and business development, and increase in employment and population county wide.
- Overseeing the overall EDC operations, including managing the shared employees of the EDC (not including dedicated employees of the Member Entities who are managed by those entities’ respective Executive Directors (ED).
- Act as the Executive Director (ED) of the Aspire Foundation to include fundraising and investor relationships.
- Provide coordination of the three Member Entities and their respective Eds, with recommendations to the Member Entity boards and an annual evaluation of those entities’ Eds, but short of having the authority to hire and terminate those EDs.
- Coordinating the efforts of the EDC and the three Member Entities, including attending their respective board meetings and interacting with the boards on an ongoing basis.
- Communicating with the boards of both the EDC, Aspire Foundation and the Member Entities, including reporting on any issues that the various boards need to be made aware of.
- Serving as the lead person for all public relations activities and the “face” of the EDC, including nurturing relationships with business leaders and public officials.
- Attending all relevant events for public relations and other applicable reasons.
- Prepare and implement a proactive comprehensive marketing strategy and plan with results-oriented benchmarks and an annual success reporting
- Promote Clarksville/Montgomery County as a viable option for location of business/industry by contacting regional, national, and international businesses.
- Work with the EDC Board of Directors and Member Entity directors to ensure support and coordinated economic development activities.
- Assist in planning strategies with the member-entity Executive Directors to attract new businesses through an aggressive outreach to identify customers/prospects and encourage expansion and retention of existing businesses to promote a stronger economic base.
- Assist in planning strategies with the member-entity Executive Directors to promote tourism in the Clarksville Montgomery County area.
- Prepare and administer budget for the EDC.
- Work cooperatively with the member entity Executive Directors to ensure that policies and procedures (including internal controls, employment policies, risk management, training, benefits, etc.) are administered consistently throughout the organizations.
- Brief and advise appropriate parties regarding economic development projects in person and through written reports.
- Manage the EDC staff in their day-to-day operations to serve the Member Entities as In this regard all functions and operations of the individual Member Entities shall be carried out by and under the control of each Member Entity’s Board of Directors and its Executive Director, so as to continuously preserve the autonomy of each member entity, especially those which are governmental agencies, and to prevent conflicts in operations of the Member Entities.
- Coordinate the planning and development of new programs and project initiatives for the EDC and Aspire and assist member entities as needed.
- Evaluate EDC and Aspire program effectiveness with member-entity Executive Directors to ensure execution and attainment of Goals. Offer suggestions to member-entity programs.
- Represent the EDC Board at various local, regional, state, national, and international meetings.
- Assist in retaining current, and securing additional, funding sources for the EDC and Aspire Foundation.
- Build relationships with regional and state economic development organizations and government officials.
- Keep abreast of the advances, procedures, regulations, technology, and other market-related changes in all areas related to economic development.
- Maintain confidentiality when required.
- The accomplishment of organizational goals through the development of an ambitious annual work program for the EDC and its three agencies. The EDC CEO is to work toward the betterment of the community while at the same time respecting the line between the EDC and the member entity.
- It is anticipated that a substantial portion of the CEO’s time will be devoted to working with and assisting the member entities. However, specific functions and actions taken by the CEO on behalf of any member entity shall be those specifically authorized by the Board of the member entity, consistent with its Board’s approval and its Bylaws and Policies. The CEO of EDC shall not be authorized to expend or commit member entity funds, or obligate the member entity, without the expressed authorization of the member entity Board of Directors.
- Strong communicator
- Minimum of 5 years (7 year preferred) experience in an economic development organization or equivalent and a combination of education and experience commensurate with a bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, marketing, or related field, or their
- Managerial experience
Skills and Experience Requirements
- Strong problem solving, decision-making skills, interpersonal communications, and presentation
- Positive Attitude
- Understanding of Local and State Government
- Team builder for unity among EDC Members Entities, governmental agencies, and
- Mobilize necessary agencies and organizations when necessary to help promote growth in Clarksville/Montgomery
- Experience with manufacturing companies is very important
- Knowledge of private and public finance and the ability to analyze financial statements and assist with business plan development.
- Knowledge of grant writing and familiarity with various programs available through state and federal agencies.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary range $130,000-$150,000 based upon experience
- Full individual benefits package provided including 401(k).
- Vehicle and cell phone
- Civic and community involvement
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Shannon Green, Director of Finance and Administration, by December 9th, 2018.
Via E-mail: email@example.com
Via Postal Mail:
Clarksville-Montgomery County EDC
Attention: HR Department
25 Jefferson Street, Suite 300
Clarksville, TN 37040
The Clarksville-Montgomery County Economic Development Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We do not use personal information in our hiring process and are dedicated to hiring the person who is best suited for our jobs without any knowledge or consideration to any individual’s membership in any protected class.